The batsman has criticized the invasion of privacy after footage of his belongings in a Perth hotel emerged online.
Indian cricket superstar Virat Kohli says he is “paranoid about his privacy” after a stranger filmed him in an Australian hotel room.
The 33-year-old batsman on Monday condemned the man who filmed a video that has surfaced online of the intruder walking through a Perth hotel room, filming his every move. There was another person in the room during the filming of the video, titled “King Kohli’s Hotel Room,” but there are no faces in the footage.
“I understand that fans are very happy and excited to see their favorite players and excited to meet them and I have always appreciated that,” Kohli wrote to his 221 million Instagram followers.
“But this video is horrifying and has made me feel very paranoid about my privacy.”
Earlier this month, the Indian cricket team stayed at the Crown Hotel Perth during their preparations for the T20 World Cup in Australia.
“If I can’t have privacy in my own hotel room, where can I expect any personal space at all?” Kohli asked.
“I do NOT agree with such bigotry and absolute invasion of privacy. Please respect people’s privacy and don’t treat them as an entertainment commodity.”
Crown Resorts apologized and said immediate action had been taken.
“We are aware of an incident involving a contractor and guest privacy at Crown Perth,” a Crown Resorts spokesperson told AFP.
“We apologize unreservedly to the guests involved and will continue to take the necessary steps to ensure this remains an isolated incident.
“We do not tolerate this type of behavior and it falls well below the standards we have set for our team members and contractors.”
The hotel said it had launched an investigation and the contractor had been “removed”.
“The original video was also quickly removed from the social media platform.
“We are also working with the Indian cricket team and the International Cricket Council to convey our apologies and will continue to work with them as we move forward with the investigation.”
The International Cricket Council said: “The ICC is incredibly disappointed by the gross invasion of privacy experienced by a member of the Indian team traveling to Crown Perth during their team’s preparations for the 2022 ICC Men’s World Cup.
“We are continuing to work with event hotels and security providers to ensure this remains an isolated incident and players’ privacy is fully respected.”
Kohli has been in scintillating form with a two-match unbeaten run in the tournament but was bowled 12 times in his side’s loss to South Africa in Perth on Sunday.